Monday, March 29, 2010

Manga Thokku

I always buy some raw mangoes from grocery store and after dumping them in fridge I throw them in trash. But this time I bought the mangoes and really wanted to use them.  I was thinking of making chunda but finally I made some pickle.  This is a very simple but delicious recipe.

What I used:
2 raw mangoes
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Haldi/Turmeric Powder
1/2 cup Olive oil
4 tsp Salt
5 tsp Red Chilli Powder or according to your taste
1 tsp Methi/fenugreek seeds dry roasted till light brown
A big pinch of Hing roasted

What I did with :
Peel the mangoes & grate.  I did with the hand grater.  You can use the food processor but I don't like because it leaves more water when grated in food processor.
Heat olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan when heated add mustard seeds.  Then add the grated mangoes stir once.  Add turmeric powder and again give a nice stir.
Now add the salt and the red chilli powder.  Mix and turn the heat to medium low.
Let it cook for 40-50 minutes.  You will know with the texture of the thokku if it is cooked.
Meanwhile, roast the methi seeds and the hing.  Grind to a fine powder.
When the thokku is cooked fully, add the methi-hing powder.  Now mix everything and turn off the heat.
And taa-daa your mango thokku is ready.
Store it in a completely dried glass/plastic bottle.  I prefer to store pickles in glass bottles.  If  refrigerated can be kept for few months, but ours will be finished in a week or 10 days.
Have a look of my mango thokku/pickle.

1 comment:

Priya Suresh said...

SLurp, tangy mango thokku looks yumm!