Monday, May 31, 2010

South-India's famous breakfast : Sada dosa & chutney


Do you know anybody who doesn't like dosa?  Atleast I don't know.  I can eat N no. of dosas provided they are off the stove and in my plate.  I cannot eat a dosa once it is cold.  The same habit is in my both sons.  Here is my simple recipe of dosa.

Ingredients:
2 Cups short/long grain rice/sona masoori rice, I used zafrani, I got mine from Costco.
1 cup Urid dal/black gram dal
1/4 cup Chana Dal/Bengal gram dal
1/4 tsp Methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
Salt to taste
Oil
Method:
Soak rice, dals and methi seeds together for atleast 4-5 hours.
After 4-5 hours, grind it to coarse consistency.  Pour the batter in a bigger vessel.  Mix with hand.  No spoons please. 
You can add salt at this stage or later while making the dosas.
Let the batter ferment for 8-12 hours depending upon the temperature in your area.  At colder places even 18-20 hours.
Heat the dosa tawa/griddle and pour the batter in the center of the tawa and spread it from inside out.
Drizzle little oil around the corners.
After a minute, flip the dosa and remove from heat after half a minute.
Serve immediately with sambar/chutney/milagai Podi.
I served mine with onion chutney and coconut-coriander chutney.
Refrigerate the remaining batter in an airtight container.

No comments: