Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ambaadichi daal aka Gongura Pappu

I make variety kind of green leafy veggies with dal but everything my son eats is spinach.  Any leafy veggie is spinach for him.  While eating it his comment will be "this spinach is tasting different" and I say,"Yaah I bought it from different shop".  That's my way of making him eat all leafy veggies.  I don't know how long I can do this, but till the time he is eating its ok.

Ingredients:
2 cups of chopped gongura leaves
1/2 cup of dal
1 medium sized onion diced
4 or more according to your taste garlic cloves crushed
1/4 tsp of turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
3-4 green chillies
salt to taste

For the tadka/seasoning:
1 tsp urad dal
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp of Asafoetida/hing
3 red chilies
Oil
Method:
Take the dal, turmeric and the leaves in a pressure cooker.  Add green chillies, onion and garlic.  Cook until 3 whistles . Once done , remove from heat and keep aside.

I use garlic while cooking dal and the leaves because it gets mashed with dal and becomes very difficult to pick it out.  My DH & Kids don't like the garlic seen in dals or any curries except for Kaara Kuzhambu.  But I really love the flavor of curshed garlic in the tadka, this is done at my mom's place.
In a wok , heat the Oil and do the tadka/seasoning by adding Urad dal, mustard seeds, hing, red chilies.  Once the mustard seeds pop,then add the tadka to the dal mixture .

Add salt, chili powder and let the dal simmer for atleast 5 minutes and remove from heat. Serve hot with rice and a dollop of ghee.




2 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Tempting gongura pappu looks fantastic..

Unknown said...

Gongurra and dal sounds like a yummy n healthy combo!