Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Sheera/Sooji Halwa/Rava Kesari for New Year

Hi everybody, In the year 2010, this is my first entry.  I was missing for so many days because of other obligations.  Thanks to all those who enquired about me.  Thanks for caring.  We all are well and doing good.  I am still not out of the vacations we had this winter to Hawaii. 

On the new year day I made this simple halwa since I was still not in the mood of any elaborate cooking.  This is my elder son's most favorite dish.  Anyways, here is the recipe of sooji halwa.

Ingredients:
1 cup upma rava/sooji
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Ghee/clarified butter
A pinch of cardamom powder
1 tbsp Raisins
few broken cashewnuts and almonds(Optional)

Method:
In a kadhai, heat ghee and roast the rava/sooji and the nuts if using on the medium low flame.
At the same time on other gas or in microwave keep the milk for boiling. 
Roast the rava till pink.  Add raisins.
Add the milk in rava keep stirring.  Add the sugar, raisins and the nuts.
Give a big stir and cover the kadhai.  Keep on low flame for 5 minutes.  Switch off the gas. 
Serve hot.



Tips:
Always use boiling milk for sooji halwa or else you will find lumps in the halwa.
Add nuts to the kadhai with rava so that no need to roast them seperately.
Add raisins before adding milk.

No comments: